View Single Post
Old
10-31-2013, 10:59 PM
JJTopper
Registered Creeper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I said it on the main boards and always like getting the Oilers board opinion, but I believe Hartnell and Coburn make the most sense fro the Flyers perspective going to Edmonton. Simmonds is loved by our front office, and for good reason. Unlike many Flyer fans, the FO won't be tempted to trade him after struggling the first 11 games. Hartnell always has droughts like this, but his stats prove he is good for 20 goals almost every season, providing truculence in the top 6. I think they might keep the dialog open, especially if both teams continue their poor play.
I'd be very hesitant to accept that kind of a package...especially if we're talking Yakupov or Eberle heading the other way. I like Hartnell, but he's on the downswing of his career and is getting paid big bucks for the next 6 years. If he was 26, he'd be a great fit. Good player, just not the right age/contract for this club IMO. As for Coburn, I'm not a huge fan. I'll admit that I haven't seen him play a lot, but his stats don't paint a pretty picture. In particular, his giveaway-takeaway ratio is unflattering. The last thing we need is another give-away machine in our top 4. We have way too many as it is. I would rather try for someone with a different skill set. That said, we all know MacT has a man-crush...so what do I know.

The guys I like in Philly are apparently off the market. I think Couturier and Simmonds would be great here. Couturier might not turn into an offensive force, but I feel his size/defensive presence is sorely needed and Simmonds is the 2nd line power forward we've been looking for. I kind of doubt there's a deal to be made here...unless we get fleeced, which is entirely possible.