Thread: Player Discussion: Raphael Diaz
View Single Post
Old
11-01-2013, 12:26 PM
Andy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Wait, what goods was Diaz "supposed to" bring that he hasn't? All he has been (and continues to be) is a 20 min/night, 0.5 PPG, positive +/- puck moving defenseman, who has blocked more shots on a per game average than any other defenseman wearing the CH (by a fair margin too, I believe). Obviously completely redundant because he's not also physically imposing, and no possible market for this guy...

He breaks up plenty of plays "despite" his size because of his positioning and stick/eye-hand coordination, and does a better job moving the puck safely than just about everyone on the current D squad. Giveaways (as "official" as they are) so far: Markov 18, Subban 9, Bouillon 8, Beaulieu 4 (in 5 games), Diaz 3. It should also be pointed out how important he and Gorges have actually been to ES scoring so far this season, providing 8 points at ES so far, while Subban+Markov, amazingly, have only provided 7 at ES.

But yeah, legit secondary scoring from another puck moving defenseman is something we should be planning to get rid of as soon as possible. Two on the right side is too many.
I agree completely 100%. I was going to write something else in favor of Diaz, but I guess I'll leave it. I just find it annoying he probably makes the least errors of all the D squad and yet gets the most hate just because he can't throw a hit, and yes, you need D-men who can win board battles, but you also need D-men who can break up rushes and move the puck, Diaz is very effective at that because of a strong active stick, good positioning and an above-average ability to read the play.

As for being in the way for Beaulieu and Tinordi, Murray and Boullion will probably go first before Diaz, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Gorges moved before Diaz as well after signing Emelin for 4.1. Gorges is a complementary top 4 D with no one to compliment at the moment. He is a great player to complete/support the second pairing, but he can't drive it.

That being said, while he isn't untradeable, I don't see the rush to move him. Tinordi and Beaulieu still don't appear 100% ready and neither Boullion, nor Murray are better than him right now.

Last edited by Andy: 11-01-2013 at 12:44 PM.