View Single Post
Old
01-20-2004, 01:15 AM
Mike8

vCash: 500
I like the reasoning behind the idea, but any contract basis exclusively on statistics will not work.

Players like Holik, whose strengths are not reflected in statistics, will be on par with the likes of Brian Savage considering their respective annual scoring output.

There is much grey area that isn't covered by statistics, so there couldn't be even a basis of a formula.

I think the best solution is for General Managers to be strong. Brian Burke did this with R.J. Umberger; Lamouriello has done it for years, and I'd like to see the rest of the GMs stand pat on this issue. They need to stop worrying about what other teams are doing and clean their house first and foremost. Internal salary structures are key for negotiations. This is why contracts like Brisebois' and Rivet's will hurt Montreal tremendously while it will barely affect other teams. Souray has been the best defenseman for Montreal, and he could very well ask that his play be reflected in his contract; if not to Brisebois' degree, then at least Rivet's.

I think the onus is on teams to be fiscally responsible, and not the league.