View Single Post
Old
01-20-2004, 04:39 AM
A Good Flying Bird*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
Doesn't matter what great accomplishments Larionov has done, hos age, etc.

He walked out. You can't do that. You can't even do that on a moronic coach so you certainly can't do that on one of the best guys in the business.

To those who've said Larionov knows a lot about the game and that they understand why Igor would leave. Why the hell sign there in the first place? I mean, if the casual fans knows the style of game the Devils play, you'd think a NHL veteran would know how the Devils operate before signing on the dotted line.

There are little excuses for Igor. The only thing I could see as mild excuse is if the guy has VERY serious personnal issues right now. Even then, he still should have stayed on the ice. Demanding a trade is not my favorite tactic but if he felt like it I would have prefered for Igor to stay on the ice and demand a trade after practice.

Walking out on teammates in today's NHL is (thankfully) not a good tactic. Right now, the game is dominated by cohesive team tactics. It's what wins you cup ABOVE pure talent. It's the reason the Rangers sucks. It's the reason strong team with a solid core like NJ, Dallas, Detroit and the Avs have won cups.

Bottom line is Igor has not helped his cause if he still wants to play in successful environments to end his career. He may be fed up with hockey period and announce his retirement.

Igor is a smart guy. It's amusing that there are folks questioning his "classiness" based on a single conflict with a coach. On the internet, it seems the minute there is an incident, it's blown out of proportion and a player gets labeled a choker, classless, dirty, etc.

Get. A. Grip.

What Igor did was a huge mistake. It shouldn't be however the focus when looking at the player over his entire career and it certainly has little to do with class anyway. He did something wrong and unless Burns has been REALLY out of line lately or personnal problems, I think there are little excuses for him.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was his way of walking out on HOCKEY, not the Devils. That would be a shame to end a career like that. Hopefully is still has some fire in him and he either fix the problem with Burns or gets shipped elsewhere so the Devils, another team and Igor can all beneficiate.

Personally I thought it was a shame he ended up in NJ because when I think of his NHL career I think of the Wings. I'm tired of people switching sides and that's why I can't put myself to be a fan of one team. So I'm hoping he finishes his career with the Wings, where he belongs, IMO.

From what I gather, Burns seemed to think Larionov wasn't paying attention, so he said something snarky. (If you don't want to listen, leave)
Larionov, tired of being benched etc, thought he was being disrespected and left.

Burns is done in Jersey.
Look at his MO. He wins. Then he loses control of his team. In the short term, coaches who show no respect for their players -- ESPECIALLY VETERAN PLAYERS -- can have success. But they tend to get eaten alive after victory.