View Single Post
11-03-2013, 11:24 AM
Supervision Required
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
i see a lot of people saying "don't trade this years 1st rounder because we could lose out on ekblad"... this type of thinking is wrong for so many reasons

1. we are unlikely to finish in the bottom-3 this year (statistically speaking)
2. even if we do somehow finish dead last, we still only have about a 50% chance of drafting 1st overall
3. ekblad is a dman and will take 2-3 years in the best case scenario to be a difference maker

if you could trade nurse for a legit top-3 defender right now, you obviously make that trade... the same goes for our first rounder this year, which is very likely going to be in the same pick range (somewhere between 5-10)

i would trade klefbom and nurse for simmonds and coburn and wouldn't think twice about it.... philly would never make that deal, but (sadly) many people on this forum wouldn't make that deal either.... the time for magic beans and draft picks is over, its time to start acquiring *real* NHL players, not just prospects that we hope turn into NHLers at some distant future date
I disagree with your points.

Please point to the statistical metrics that say we're unlikely to finish in the dirt. Goal differential, PP, PK, Save %, the statistics that have a hand in winning games, are not positive for us. Furthermore, the most important metric, what my eyes are telling me, runs contrary to "unlikely to finish bottom 3".

We don't need to draft 1st OV. Sam Reinhart is the prize in Buffalo, and at the end of the year I can see Sam Bennett making a case for himself to the Floridas or whoevers. Nobody drafts a defensemen 1st overall unless they've been constructed stupidly. Enter Oilers.

Ekblad is our best chance at a top pairing defensemen in the next 3 years. I'll wait.