FA Signings, Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread IX:
View Single Post
11-03-2013, 11:47 AM
I'm here, I'm bored
Join Date: Jul 2010
Originally Posted by
i see a lot of people saying "don't trade this years 1st rounder because we could lose out on ekblad"... this type of thinking is wrong for so many reasons
1. we are unlikely to finish in the bottom-3 this year (statistically speaking)
2. even if we do somehow finish dead last, we still only have about a 50% chance of drafting 1st overall
3. ekblad is a dman and will take 2-3 years in the best case scenario to be a difference maker
if you could trade nurse for a legit top-3 defender right now, you obviously make that trade... the same goes for our first rounder this year, which is very likely going to be in the same pick range (somewhere between 5-10)
i would trade klefbom and nurse for simmonds and coburn and wouldn't think twice about it.... philly would never make that deal, but (sadly) many people on this forum wouldn't make that deal either.... the time for magic beans and draft picks is over, its time to start acquiring *real* NHL players, not just prospects that we hope turn into NHLers at some distant future date
First to your points.
1) Statistically speaking... we are well on track for a bottom three finish...
2) Ekblad isn't the guaranteed 1st overall guy. Even Jones dropped to 4th. Buffalo, IMO would take a forward.
3) Ekblad is more like to have a Jones/Doughty rookie impact than a Larsson/Murray type.
I don't know why you want to trade picks and prospects that have top pairing potential for #3 d-men. Ference was the #3 guy on a cup winning team Petry would be a #3 guy on many good teams. We have lots of guys who can play a 2nd pairing role, we dont need that anymore. We need studs back there. I'm not trading Nurse or our potential Ekblad pick for anything less than that.
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by Mcnotloilersfan