View Single Post
Old
11-03-2013, 01:38 PM
Canadiens1958

vCash: 500
Four Year Olds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Anyone have experience working with mini mites?

I signed my son up for a program but it turns out they don't have any coaches. So we've got a bunch of parents volunteering to run things including myself. Luckily one guy is a certified coach and teacher, but the rest of us are winging it.

Any tips working with the kids?
The association should have a bank of drills and teaching aids that are age appropriate. Use these after talking to coaches at the next level to get feedback about effectiveness.

Quebec has a MAHG program for the 4-6 year olds, half rink. Assuming mini mite is the 4 year olds, perhaps with advanced 3 year olds. Learn to Skate program should be a pre-requisite but easy to work around.

First and foremost make it fun for the youngsters. Keep them active and moving. If running drills with stations watch the youngsters in line. If a few start looking around they are getting bored. Not a good sign.

Let the youngster play hockey for about 1/3-1/2 of the practice. Experiment with positions, everyone plays goalie, forward, dmen during the season.

Evaluations, necessary evil. Run them from weakest to strongest otherwise the weaker youngsters tune out and go thru the motions.

Most important, everyone should have fun.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote