View Single Post
Old
11-03-2013, 09:08 PM
moog35

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
Not that I disagree with this point, but in the Oilers case how were they expected to shelter the kids when their supposed 'vets' were routinely failing to deliver?

And in the case of Hall and Eberle, it's not like they're raw rookies these days...both are in their 4th full NHL seasons, it's not unreasonable to expect that they can get the training wheels taken off their bikes by now. Even RNH is in his 3rd year...and in his case he was actually lauded for being a sound defensive player in his first 2 years, it's only this year that we're seeing him being routinely burned - and I maintain that coming back from a serious injury and missing all of training camp has put him in a hole that he's still trying to dig himself out of.
I agree that they should be better defensively by now, I dont have a problem with Eakins using them against other teams top lines as long as he shelters them from being burned which means making adjustments and matching different lines when it is not working. A couple times this season he has matched head to head and the results were awful -4, nothing wrong with trying it out but don't let it get to -4 make an adjustment after a couple goals when everyone realizes that its not working