View Single Post
Old
11-03-2013, 10:33 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
A couple of things about the guys you've listed. Sam Bennett is a good hockey player in the mold of Scott Laughton/Bo Horvat. You win with guys like Sam Bennett. He's probably the most complete forward going into the draft. He'll never be a high scorer. He's a potential 40 to 50 point player. However, he's one of those players you can throw into any role and he'll excel. Doug Gilmour has been very influential in Bennett's game.

Leon Draisaitl is an interesting player. Definitely a good hockey player with high offensive upside. Good hands, great skating, and uses his body well. He's also a highly intelligent player and he's sound positionally. What I like is how he, Josh Morrissey and Reid Gardner (another potential 2014 draftee) have carried Prince Albert on their backs. His competitiveness is something that can't be taught and he fights for every ounce of space he gets. I like Draisaitl, but I caution with guys like Draisaitl because of his late birth year. I expect someone who is eight to ten months older than his peers to put up better numbers.

As for Jake Virtanen, I'm not sold on him at all. He's one of those guys that oozes talent, but just isn't able to put it all together and I'm not sure if he ever will. I just don't think he has the hockey IQ to do it. Yes, the talent package is tantalizing, but if the smarts aren't there, no matter what system he plays in, he's always going to leave you wanting more. With Virtanen, you're hoping that the smarts catch up with the talent and that's a risky proposal to take on a player, especially very high in the draft.

Once again, just my take on all three.
Thanks for your report. Laughton had another big day. Could the Flyers call him back for the rest of the season other than a emergency call up?

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote