View Single Post
Old
11-04-2013, 12:40 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
People don't seem to understand how these clauses work.

First of all, look around the league, they are very common. I don't think the Flyers have an outrageously high or low number of players with these clauses.

Second of all, you have to give to get. If you don't give Hartnell that clause, maybe he asks for more money...then people freak out when he gets more money. Or he walks in free agency. Maybe you don't want Hartnell so you are ok with him walking, but in general these clauses are an incentive for guys to sign with a particular team.

Third of all, it is a limited/modified NMC, meaning he is not unequivocally untradeable. I don't know the specifics, but usually these things are like 10-15 teams to which guys can refuse a trade (maybe less than that).

Finally, all the *****ing and moaning about these clauses, when have they really come back to bite anyone in the ass (that we know of). It may happen behind closed doors where a guy refuse to waive, but without being able to verify this, it doesn't appear to be that big of an impediment to trading someone. Tomas Kaberle I remember refusing to waive, Jerome Iginla refused to go to a certain team but ultimately was traded, and Dany Heatly I think did the same thing. Outside of them, can you think of anyone that hasn't waived? Maybe I am off-base on this, but how many confirmed people do we know rejected a trade? If I'm wrong you can ignore this argument, but I honestly can't remember anyone else besides those three examples (and I mean confirmed examples, not you heard that Coburn did or you heard that Briere did).
You see I had that same outlook and theory, I was just wondering how off base I was. I don't see the big deal.