View Single Post
Old
11-04-2013, 12:48 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchisGod View Post
Does fogarty have any grit to his game? His offensive numbers in college have been underwhelming to say the least. I'm curious as to why people are high on him.
For a 3rd round pick, he's been a surprisingly oft-debated prospect. I know some folks disagree with me, but here's why I'm high on him:

Initial scouting reports pegged him as a big kid who had a nice set of offensive tools but needed work on his defensive game and skating. Since being drafted, he's come a long, long way as a defensive player. Where as before he was likely considered a top-9 winger or bust due to his lack of defensive awareness, he's now established himself as a versatile player who could play both wing and center at a higher level should he make it that far.

Unfortunately, since he's remained as a center, he's been somewhat of a victim of seniority in the BCHL and NCAA. This year is the first year he's been really asked to be more than a shutdown center who contributes some secondary scoring. He's a key player for them and they need him to take the next step. So far he's been okay. I think he could have had a few more points on the board had his teammates capitalized on chances, but I think the points will come in time.

He's a very raw package, but the toolset is tantalizing. Size, strength, grit, defensive game, and a great sense for the game. What he needs to improve on is his quickness, offensive consistency, and quicker decision making. He absolutely man-handled kids in high school. Once he gets comfortable, I think we'll see him take a big leap forward.

I think his upside is a Michal Handzus kind of player with better vision. Big, strong and gritty, but not necessarily a "nasty" player.