View Single Post
Old
11-04-2013, 04:51 PM
Appleyard
HFB Partner

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneHands View Post
Yeah, I saw that article when I searched too. The only thing that doesnt make sense is that you have 3 years to sign a player and he even states that int he article. That article was from June of 2011 and Bertilsson was drafted in June of 2009 which was only 2 years at the time. I believe we had the rights to sign him by this summer.

Maybe someone more in tune with the that kind of thing can help shed some light on whether the article was correct or not. Just doesn't seem right that he states in the article that you have 3 years to sign a prospect and it was only 2 years at the time.
There was an individual NHL-SIF transfer deal (after demise of NHL-IIHF) that meant the rules were the same as the CHL (2 years to sign).

There was loads of messing around at the time... with some guys from Sweden getting 3 years and some 2 as some rights were extended depending on the draft year while transfer agreements with individual countries were being agreed.

There is a new deal now though that lets rights be kept for 4 years in the case of Swedes. Thank god... it was such a mess.