View Single Post
Old
11-04-2013, 06:29 PM
Sethis

vCash: 725
So. That Detroit game happened. As a result, I'm back to all my usual prospect hot spots. Ho hum, one more fernakkin' year.

For me, the #1 guy in this draft has got to be Reinhart. He's a right handed 2-way C, the yin to Nuge's yang, that 'ubiquitous' type guy we need in the top 6, and would be an excellent compliment to Hall's game. He looks to have a frame to build some muscle and the compete level/willingness to build a complete game. I really think he could be that elusive Bergeron/Toews/Kesler type, and would be in a perfect position to develop his talents with next years iteration of our team.

Besides that, there's the long development timeline all defensemen face relative to forwards. The same reason I wanted Larsson early in the rebuild process is the reason I would shy away from Ekblad late. We already got Nurse and Klefa bubbling under (both of whom are very similar to Ekblad), and while Schultz seems to be taking a hit to his projections this years, I've long maintained that he'll be a Mathieu Schneider type at his peak, which is very valuable in a top 4.

IMO, this is the year to swap one of the wunderkids out for an equal type on the back end and throw some of our B prospects (Marincin, etc.) at a chance to move up come draft time--with the thought that we'll pick it up when our players return and finish somewhere in the 5-10 range. A package centered around Eberle or Yakupov should be able to net us someone further along toward being an impact defenseman that fits with the rest of the cluster. Maybe someone like Douggie Hamilton or Jacob Trouba? I would love to add a Trouba to the Nurse/Klefa/Schultzy core we're building.