View Single Post
Old
11-04-2013, 10:44 PM
abootzky

vCash: 500
Before the idea of Ed Hervey righting the Eskimos ship is completely dismissed due to a disastrous first season, an ill-advised contract extension for his head coach and a couple of questionable press conferences, let's take a brief look back in history.

The most successful GM this franchise has ever had was a guy named Norm Kimball. He took over in 1964- eight years before the EE had any sustained success. Surly and defensive, Kimball was never a media favorite but eventually success came, culminating in the fantastic 5 in a row Grey Cup run from 1978-82.

Am I saying that Ed Hervey should be given eight years on the off chance that history will repeat itself? Of course not. What I am saying is that Kimball proved that a GM can learn from his early mistakes and turn things around. Previously I called this head coach hire 'make-or-break' for this GM and I stand by that. This is going to need to be much quicker than an 8 year turnaround because justifiably disgusted Eskimos fans are voting with their feet in alarming numbers.

abootzky is offline   Reply With Quote