View Single Post
Old
11-04-2013, 11:11 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Exactly. Schwarz was the clear-cut #2 in that draft, and many felt that he wasn't far behind Montoya. Dubnyk was also considered the #3 guy, but still a lock for the first round. Schneider was probably the 4th best goalie in the draft, but lots had Justin Peters ranked ahead of him at the time.

The Oilers also went with conventional wisdom in 2002 when the #2 ranked goalie that year fell because two other teams "reached" on the #3 and #4 goalies in Cam Ward and Hannu Toivonen (who I think was also behind Josh Harding at the time).

In 2009 they took the highly touted draft day faller Olivier Roy in the 5th round. Considered to be one of the steals of the draft because of where he was ranked going in. So far he's been a total flop.

I would have been in favour of taking Gibson, but I was also a big fan of Musil (and Jenner), so I wasn't upset about it at the time. I honestly would've been perfectly happy with any of those 3 as the pick, but Gibson is starting to look like the better of the 3 at the moment.
I don't know... Jenner is in the NHL after all (I'm still annoyed about that pick. I like Musil, but I had Jenner going 20th to Phoenix. Couldn't believe he fell to us...)