View Single Post
Old
11-06-2013, 02:10 AM
Bloumeister
Weakileaks source

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
V for Vendetta was too heavy-handed for me. Also, they bastardised the story, they made it about George Bush Jr. even though the original comic came out in the 1980s. I thought the movie was an American left-wing branfart, then I looked up what Alan Moore had to say "American liberal fantasy" ... I felt vindicated
I can understabd you feeling that way. You're right about the switched settings. I wouldn't go as far as calling it 'bastardized', though I'm sure Alan Moore did

I don't think that a straight-up adaptation of the 80's setting would have worked. And while I can understand Moore being protective about his work (and can't anyone in Hollywood come up with an original story anymore, FFS?), I don't buy this 'US liberal fantasy' bullcrap. Fact: history shows that fascist/totalitarian regimes CAN and WILL take control of any given society if you let them. The Wachowski siblings (now brother and sister ) took the ball and ran with it. It was their choice to set the story in a more 'actual' world, and they made the most of it: a compelling, visually stunning movie that I enjoyed a lot more than Moore's books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Matrix 2 built upon the philosophical issues in the first one in a very straightforward manner: both are essentially marxist in their philosophy. However, it was not the extrapolation that fans of the first one had envisioned, so it was rejected. Expectations are almost always impossible to meet.
Matrix 2 and 3 were destined to fail, you're right... but the Wachowskis were wrong. Movies are first and foremost entertainment. Escapism. The common moviegoer just wants to enjoy the ride, so to speak. If the underlying themes of a movie, as noble, straightforward or thought-provoking as they can be, take away from the overall viewing pleasure, then you've done your job wrong.

Bottom line: I'm fine with having to choose between the blue and red pill, but please don't force it down my throat.