View Single Post
Old
01-20-2004, 09:34 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by puck you
Brindamour isn't worth nearly that much. I really think the Canucks need to make a statement deal, no more offensive experiements, no more washed up players past their prime, no more defensive forwards touted as offensive top 6 guys (a la Magnus Arvedson).

If the Canucks want to improve their chances of a deep playoff run, they may need to move someone off their roster they don't necessarily want to. Matt Cooke, or even Magnus Arvedson can go IMO( barring he's healthy). I love the Cooker, but I don't see the Canucks adding much to their roster when they are only offering Chubarov, Ruutu, Sopel, Umberger, Fedorov, and picks.

To Car:
Matt Cooke
Brent Sopel
Artem Chubarov
3rd

To Van:
Jeff O'Neill
Bob Boughner

Chubarov's role is filled by Ryan Kesler, as they are the same player mold. Brent Sopel is replaced by the more physical Bob Boughner, which is an element the Canucks D has been lacking, a physical net clearing D man, and Matt Cooke plays a physical game, by so does Jarkko Ruutu, Brad May, Trevor Linden, Todd Bertuzzi, and once the Canucks add Jeff O'Neill, his grit and scoring touch can replace Matt Cooke.

I know Cooke's a fan favorite, but I think it has to be done.
That seems like fair value to me. Canucks sacrifice a bit of lower line depth but gain the potential for a really good second line. Perhaps even let Bertuzzi play with the Sedins (he always look pretty good with them) and have O'Neill with Morrison and Näslund.

Sopel will hurt a bit but Boughner will be good enough, especially in a tough playoff.

Meanwhile, Carolina get what they want. Younger, cheaper players with some potential.