View Single Post
Old
11-08-2013, 10:23 AM
ozo

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
Hi friends to the East (and those educated with matters in the KHL)! I hope this is the right place for such a question.

I had just browsed eliteprospects for a few prospects for the 2014 NHL draft, and saw that Aaron Ekblad got drafted by a KHL team. I thought I'd take a look how many/which North American players got drafted in the last KHL draft to get a grip on how that works. I saw that especially the team that selected Ekblad in Podolsk selected a bunch of North Americans, and especially some College names I wasn't familiar with (Fortunato, Eichel, Larkin). Which seems a bit odd, to me. With Ekblad, I suppose that everyone knows about the odds of him ever playing in the KHL, but they just felt that late in the draft, there wasn't much other noteworthy talent, so just said hey, whatever, let's secure this guy's rights. But what's with the earlier selections of those College kids? Surely there was still decent talent available with good odds to play in the KHL some time.

I'm obviously not overly familiar with how the KHL draft works and what thoughts go into these selections, so I'd be grateful for any insight. Thanks in advance!
All those names, especially Eichel are very good players. Though the only real logic behind those picks to use them on bodies that won't require any sort of compensation which would be the case if would pick a Russian kid. Also this is the reason why Dinamo Riga so easily gives away their picks or use them on local talant when they could easily land somewhat better prospects on marginal Russian youth teams.

ozo is online now   Reply With Quote