View Single Post
Old
11-08-2013, 01:37 PM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

vCash: 500
tarheelshockey did a short stats bio on Henning when he drafted him in MLD 2012.

Here is my bio from four MLD drafts before that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLD11
Lorne Henning

Quote:
"...Known for his great skill at killing penalties and scoring short-handed goals... "
http://www.hockeydraftcentral.com/1972/72017.html

Stanley Cup Champion (1980) (1981 player/ass. coach)

- first Islanders player to score on a penalty shot (1975)
- Teamed with Ed Westfall to form league's most efficient penalty-killing duo in both 1974-75 and 1975-76. ...
- Set N.Y. Islanders record (since broken) with six short-handed goals in 1976-77.
- Assisted on Bob Nystrom's overtime goal that won first Stanley Cup for N.Y. Islanders on May 24, 1980...
- won two Stanley Cups as an Isles player, second time as player/ass. coach, then two more as officially Isles assistant coach
- scored just 73 goals in 533 NHL games but 18 of them were shorthanded; scored 7 NHL playoff goals and 5 of those 7 were shorthanded!!
- four times top-10 in shorthanded goals

Listed on the team's official website as the 2nd best Islanders penalty killer of all time:
Quote:
Another career Islander, Henning is tied for second all-time among Islanders for shorthanded goals with 18. Perhaps even more impressive than his high career totals is the fact that, Henning’s total came in under a decade of play. Henning’s 18 goals make up approximately a quarter of his career goal total. Henning led the team in shorthanded goals four times in his career. Henning always had a talent for locating the goal on the penalty kill.
http://islanders.nhl.com/team/app?ar...e&service=page
I had introduced Henning to the board before that, in the first ever full AAA draft (AAA10). I remember him as well respected from my youth, before the Internet, before even cable T.V., when game broadcast crews, newspapers, the hockey news and word of mouth was all we had. If we made a good defensive play in peewee hockey someone would joke: "Henning!"

VanIslander is online now   Reply With Quote