View Single Post
Old
11-08-2013, 09:34 PM
Mathletic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
To be fair, the concept of "opportunity cost" is an advanced one, an abstract one, and I think the average Joe Blow on the street wouldn't get it. You should not be shaking your head. If anything, people should be shaking their head at you because you are (incorrectly) assuming that this is a concept most people would understand.

pepperMonkey,

David Desharnais is -2 after 16 games. He gets good wingers, He has 1 point. He has very easy minutes, his 5on5 Corsi Rel QoC is -0.500, compared to 0.727 for Eller and +1.269 for Plekanec. He also plays 1:31 of PP time per game, for 24:28 of total power play time.

Given these situations, even if Desharnais was a completely average, vanilla player who contributed nothing more than filling up space at average league skill and average league salary, he would have 5-10 points. He is playing in the 15 minutes a game where the team needs to score, because the other 45 minutes are harder. Therefore, if Desharnais is producing anything less than 5-10 points, he is detrimental to the team. Further, he should be ~+3, not -2.
Although I agree with you theoretically. In reality, the Habs replace Desharnais by White in the lineup. I don't see the improvement there. White is a headless chicken defensively and can't pin the other team down in their own territory either. Although Desharnais isn't producing offensively. He still nearly doesn't give as many quality scoring chances.

and Rel QoC is pretty much garbage as far as I'm concerned