Old
01-20-2004, 11:36 PM
bandwagon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead17
To Carolina: 1st Rd. in 2004/or/2nd Rd. in 2004 + R.J. Umberger
To Vancouver: Rod Brind'Amour

Reasoning(from a Canuck perspective): Brind'Amour, like many of the Canes, has struggled to start this season and hasn't put up the numbers he has in recent years. The Hurricanes get some future aid for a franchise that is going to start rebuilding, and the Canucks get a veteran warrior who can help in the Playoffs, as well as put up some points.

Thoughts?

~Canucklehead~
First off, I love Brind'Amour. I think that he's a great player. He's reliable in his own end, he works his butt off. He's great on faceoffs and is very strong. He can score goals and make plays. He's a leader. On skill alone, he'd be a great addition to this Canucks team who is rather "green" when it comes to the playoffs. We could definitely use his experience.

However, there's more to being a GM than just adding the pieces that your team could use. Brind'Amour being locked up long term could be a concern to some with the possibility of a lockout, but it seems to me that as Brian Burke has locked up a lot of our key players to long term deals, he would view that as a possible plus in acquiring him. Just speculation on my part, though. However, Brind'Amour's salary ($5 million this season) is a detractor as we probably don't have the space to add that amount of salary to our payroll. Also, Brind'Amour has had an awful season (just 4 goals and 12 assists in 46 games) which might turn off Burke.

I'd think about adding Brind'Amour, because I think he would be a great addition, but I think that the 'Canes would have to be willing to absorb some of his salary for such a deal to truly be an option. I think O'Neill is a more viable option, but I don't know for sure whether we have the goods to entice them to part with O'Neill, who is a fine player.