View Single Post
Old
11-10-2013, 11:34 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Its quite fair to ask posters that keep asserting with confidence that this will be our path to success the next 4 or 5 years. What are they basing it on? Development of our current prospects? Or what I think they are basing it on, us hitting the jackpot in the next two drafts. I don't need specifics on the when it will happen (the surge towards success) but the why is definitely a fair question to ask.
Development.

Quote:
The Sabres stockpiling picks is a great start to a team building strategy. But to think we are going to just sit back and wait for them develop into a Cup contender is pure silliness.
Don't think anyone disagrees with you.

Quote:
No Cup team was ever built in such a fashion. The key to success is what Regier does with all these assets (picks/prospects) going forward to augment the roster with pieces we need. Every team needs some trades and UFA signings to build their Cup teams.
Ditto.
Quote:
The draft can definitely give a team a strong base to work from and it has already done that for us. If we are successful in turning things around. It will be due to the young players already on the roster and the prospects already in the system.
Or others that we add.

Quote:
But to add every piece we will need, trades and UFA will need to be utilized. Although I think the UFA path would most likely be for minor adds. I can only see trades as a an option for bigger pieces.
Right.

Quote:
No idea what you point is here. I'm not arguing against the path the Sabres have taken just the simplistic timelines some cling to as the definitive road to success. I want to know why the feel so confident as I explained above. What are the specific things that will take place that gives them confidence?
Point is you're asking for something impossible, not just in defense of this team building strategy, but any.