Old
11-11-2013, 08:02 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
But at the same time, what are you supposed to do when you are in the running for a Cup at the deadline. Hang on to the picks and hope you are good with what you have, then hope that those picks will develop into NHLers four years down the road? I understand what you are saying, and as I have stated, I am not now, nor have I ever been, of the opinion that you HAVE to trade draft picks to be successful or that draft picks are worthless. I'm simply saying, when your team looks close, trading draft picks (even firsts) is not a bad thing.

Obviously, I would prefer to have all our draft picks over the past few years, but at the same time, what are you going to do...trade for Pronger then NOT go for it in subsequent years? What was the point of trading for Pronger then?
What, so you think every playoff team should trade away their firsts until it causes a team collapse when that becomes unsustainable? So, do what the Flyers did...trade your picks and prospects until you're no longer a contender. That seems dumb. In fact, that's a terrible strategy.

How about this: Build responsibly so you don't have to irresponsibly trade high picks and young talent away for years in a desperate attempt to shore up holes.

That sounds smarter, doesn't it?

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 11-11-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote