View Single Post
Old
12-21-2006, 11:41 AM
stick9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
We were taking a break during a pick up game today and I thought about trying learn to stop on my un-natural side (I usually stop by making my skates face right, so I tried making them face left and stop), and it definently wont be something that comes easy. I was wondering how important you guys think it is, how you learned to do it, etc.
think about it. You are playing RW or are on the right side of the rink. You are chasing down the puck and need to stop quickly. You don't want to stop by turning yourself back up ice, or face to the wall, especially if you are in a race with someone.

I shoot right and my strong side is to the left. There have been times where coming into the zone on the off wing and stopping (skates to the right) makes for a good offensive play. At that point I can either shoot, pass, or take it to the net. If I do this many times the guy coming from behind will blow my me and the defender moving back has to stop and move forward to cover me.

I can't do it very well but I can do it enough to get by. I end doing a one foot stop. It's not pretty but it gets the job done. Oddly enough, I can stop perfectly to both sides on skis.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote