View Single Post
11-13-2013, 09:55 AM
HF Partner
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Although I've been very critical of the goaltending (Hutton moreso than Mazanec last night), I agree with this post. I feel like it's a lot easier to play our game when we have a safety net like Rinne back there but it doesn't take away from the fact that we look like a purely dysfunctional team. No point in trying to lay it out there because you already did. But with that said, I'm still not sure Trotz will be gone, no matter how badly we lose over the weekend. We'll obviously get crushed Friday and Saturday will be 65% Hawks fans so we might as well just blast their goal horn when they score since ours won't be used but I'm still not convinced there will be a change. It'll be the typical excuse-laden reason to "stay the course" and get back to "The Predator Way". The reason for not changing things up this time is the Rinne injury. Which of course, sort of makes sense seeing as how "The Predator Way" is heavily reliant on world-class goalies making us look like a team that knows what it's doing.
And that's what I'm afraid of. Excuses. Every time this team can't achieve something there is an excuse. Well this player got hurt or there was a bad call or they were a better team than us. At some point to use Trotz's own words, players and coaches need to be held accountable and since Cigarran took over as the voice of the franchise, I think the leash will be a lot shorter than most think. You can't tell me that Housley wasn't brought in as a wake up call to Trotz. And like you and I have said, you can only blame so much on the goalie. Last night we got our butts handed to us and I think it could've been worse if Mazanec hadn't made some nice saves. The 18 guys in front of him did not help him at all and that's the crux of the problem, the skaters. Sure goalies give up bad goals and teams get deflated but your leaders pick the team up and do something to change the momentum of the game. Instead of getting down, these guys need to step up and take a hit to make a play or hit someone to get the team energized. Clune tried last night with his fight. Hornqvist tried by running his mouth and getting clocked consistently.

At some point excuses are just that, excuses. There needs to be accountability and until someone upstairs or behind the bench realizes this, nothing will change. Yeah, it sucks we lost Rinne but there is enough veteran leadership for this not to happen yet it is.

The "Predator Way" was also 60 minutes of hustle every night, every shift and that did not happen at all. Also, you need to lay the body on the other team to let them know you're there. It is a contact sport. And can anyone tell me why our guys get pushed around in front of the other teams net and we stand still when guys get in our goalies face? It's nice Weber didn't have to go at Janssen the other night but still, the guy's whacking away at Hutton and he gets a little push and that's it. Hornqvist gets near a goalie and he's getting cross checked, face washed and beaten to death and we stand there and either watch or don't dole it out to the other team. You don't have to goon it up but you also have to stand up for yourselves and your teammates.

No excuses. No excuses. No excuses. I hope Cigarran and his bunch are chewing someone out or are getting ready to pull the trigger on someone. They didn't get here by being soft or passive, at some point they want to see the money they're spending is money well spent and it sure doesn't look like it at this point.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote