View Single Post
Old
11-13-2013, 07:27 PM
Fataldogg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Dawes in the top 6 kind of hurts that team's depth. Dubi and especially Avery is not that very good for a top 6. Callahan wasn't the current Callahan by a long shot. Richards IMO is better than Gomez. Also that 4th line is terrible. I won't mention the D because you only said offense. I'm actually surprised that the D was as good as it was, actually surprised that the lineup was as good as it was.
Gomez in 07-08 had 70 points. Something Richards hasn't done with us yet. He was actually a solid forward for us in that first season.

I don't think this current team is close to being the deepest team we've had. Especially if you take Nash out of the line up (which for all intensive purposes, he hasn't been a legitimate part of the team this year).

Stepan is a border line first line forward, solid second line center. Richards is playing like a first line center, but we don't know how long that will continue. Callahan is a solid first line player for what he provides (complete game), but on a lot of teams would be a second line forward.

Than you go down on the depth chart to players like Brassard. He's a border line 2nd line forward (talented enough to be a 2nd line forward but doesn't produce like one), and would be a 3rd line forward on most "deep" teams in the league.

Despite the production recently from Zucarello, you can't say he is anything more than a 3rd line forward unless he continues this pace. Hagelin is a border line 2nd line forward. Kreider is too early to judge.

Pouliot, Boyle, Dorsett, Miller, Pyatt, Mashinter, are all 4th line caliber forwards, with one or two he might be 3rd line talent.

In 07-08 you were looking at a team with Jagr (legitimate 1st line forward), Gomez (1st line forward), Drury (legitimate 2nd line forward), Shanahan (2nd line forward), Straka (2nd line forward), Dubinsky (border line 2nd line forward at the time, more suitable for 3rd line), than players like Avery, Dawes, Bettes, etc, who were all good role players.

And our defense wasn't bad either. People will say Rozsival sucked, but he was a 40 point defense man for us who played responsible defense. Malik wasn't as putrid as people made him out to be. +/- was only an insignificant stat evaluating Malik. Marc Staal was solid out the gate. Girardi was still a solid defense man.

And I'm saying all this and I don't even know if 07-08 was our deepest team. I don't think the 13-14 team is, and frankly, I wouldn't understand an argument supporting it since with Nash out of the line up we might have one legitimate 1st line forward, two 2nd line forwards, some X factor forwards you can't evaluate yet, and the majority of the forwards being 3rd/4th line talent.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote