View Single Post
Old
12-22-2006, 10:50 AM
v-man

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLArenaGuide View Post
A lot of people might be forgetting about the ironclad lease that Hurricane Hazel negotiated with the OHL at the Hershey Centre. Nick Ricci's group bought the IceDogs with the idea of moving them to Niagara Region but sold once they realized how punitive the lease was should they break it.

There is absolutely no way that the OHL will not be in Mississauga for the duration of the 20-year-lease, and you can take that to the bank.

That said, Burlington would be a good idea in my opinion as it can draw from both Hamilton and the Oakville area.
Exactly. Hazel was at the press conference when they announced the Majors would be moving there and she was thrilled. Melynk has made a commitment to the OHL to keep them in the Toronto area (which was the only reason he bought the team in the first place when they we're going bankrupt in the early stages), and to Hazel to honour the lease on the Hershey Centre. There is no way that this Burington rumour has any grounds.

That said, I too would like to see a team end up in Burlington. I'd much rather make the longer trip out there than go to Brampton, and I'm sure the Milton/Oakville/Burlington/Hamilton populations would have no trouble supporting a franchise.

v-man is offline   Reply With Quote