Thread: Player Discussion: With Emelin in, who's out?
View Single Post
Old
11-14-2013, 10:49 AM
MathMan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Does this take into consideration who they were paired with?
That's an important piece of context and there are many ways to deal with that, including looking at numbers with or without a given player. I don't have those numbers handy. But, when someone's possession numbers are 30%, well, you're not risking much by saying they've been awful.

Bouillon's numbers being higher than Murray's when they are frequently paired together strongly suggests Bouillon's been better away from Murray than Murray has been away from Bouillon. Bouillon does occasionally get Subban time, but otherwise he's been asked to shepherd the rookies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
Don't get me wrong Murray is not a good defenceman but neither is Bouillon. We have a choice between two bad defenceman and I'd take Murray.
I wouldn't. Bouillon is decidedly mediocre, but Murray is actively negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
Yes I do believe the team slumping and his return are purely coincidental. Bottom pairing defenceman and 4th lines for that matter rarely change the outcome of a game.
One of the key things that make a good team good is depth. Even bad teams have top-end players. One of the keys of last season's success was a fourth line that could take very defensive assignments and handle them reasonably well.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote