Thread: Player Discussion: Cowen
View Single Post
Old
11-14-2013, 11:48 AM
bert

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner getrdonebryan View Post
He's got trouble with his decision making, that's not on coaching. The pressure is high in a Canadian market for a young guy who is a former top 10 pick and this season everyone expects him to become a cornerstone on the backend...that's why IMO he thinks too much defensively and tries to complicate his offensive game. In a read and react type situation like the 5 on 3 in the Panthers game, he dominated
Its true, for the most part when he makes a reaction play its the right decision. As soon as he starts thinking about what to do its a big problem, which I am not sure what to make out of that. The only thing I can think of is playing him in majorly sheltered minutes for the next couple of seasons so he can develop some hockey sense. The amount of time he has missed between the two big injuries and hold outs has really stunted his development. Now he is thrust into a role he just isn't ready for. Playing him with a guy like Corvo on the third pairing who can get the puck out for 12 to 15 minutes a night against the other teams 3rd and 4th lines seems like the easiest way to get him out of this funk. When you think back to two seasons ago when he played much better than this for the most part he was playing sheltered minutes on the third pairing. That seems to me like what they need to do here.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote