Old
11-15-2013, 07:54 AM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeldan View Post
Yesterday, played first game as goalie... Only allowed one goal, we won
The one that went in... committed and went down too early and it was weird, knew exactly where the shot was going and how it was going to get past me but couldn't do anything to react in time to prevent it.

Other than that though, I definitely was playing very active outside of my net, very much being a third defenseman -- probably wouldn't get away with it at a higher level of rec play, but in this league I skate better in full goalie gear than a lot of the others out there...

Definitely think I'm going to be a more 'standup' style than trying anything butterfly like, feel like I offer up 85% of the net if I go down - would rather react to the shots than try to hope I'm in the right spot to block them (and it doesn't help that I'm only about 5'7...).
I've played a few times for my pickup group, and it's a total blast. This week was only my 4th time ever in net, but I feel like I'm improving each time. After sitting and watching years upon years of my son's goalie skills, I know what I want to do, but getting my body to do it is another thing, especially getting down on low (hell ANY) shots.

I'm using his equipment, and it fits me well enough for the occasional skate. I'm having enough fun that I may consider doing it on a much more regular basis. That would precipitate getting my own stuff, which I'm sure would make my basement even more full, more smelly, and my wife less happy.

Let us know how it goes, if you keep playing.