Thread: Prospect Info: Bruins Prospect Thread Part V
View Single Post
Old
11-15-2013, 01:23 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ORRBRUIN View Post
I often wondered why organizations get players in trade when there is a very real chance that player never fit into the team long range plan.

Is it to help the farm team better develop the "real" prospects by surrounding them with talent?
I believe the answer is- without the benefit of a crystal ball, GMs/teams make trades based on the body of knowledge they have from their pro (or amateur) scouts on certain players and do so with the idea that the individual will make some kind of contribution.

In a perfect world, every trade produces an impact performer for the NHL club, but the world is far from perfect. Sometimes, organizational depth is the sole by-product and the only return a team gets on a trade but that's the cost of doing business.

Teams make trades in hopes that the assets they acquire will be a part of a winning formula. But no GM expects that every move made will have immediate and or lasting effects. The key is coming out on the winning side of transactions more often than not.

My point on Fraser is that nobody should be deciding in November, 2013 if he is or isn't going to be a part of the solution in Boston. Unfortunately, because of the rules governing waivers, his signing status as a RFA and being subject to waivers after this season becomes a forcing function for the B's to likely make some kind of decision on him sooner rather than later. He's an attractive asset because of his upside and minor league production...they won't want to lose him for nothing.