Thread: Prospect Info: Kings Prospects in the CHL/College
View Single Post
Old
11-15-2013, 09:55 PM
igotnothing

vCash: 500
Michael Mersch

Quick background on me. I'm a huge Kings fan that's in grad school at Miami University (Ohio). The games are free for students, so I go as often as I can, which is pretty much every game.

This weekend, Miami plays Wisconsin. 2011 4th round pick Michael Mersch plays for the Badgers, so I wanted to give you guys an update on what I saw.

Mersch has good size for college, he's listed at 6'1" and that looked about right. It seems like a lot of college guys tend to be smaller. He does his best to use his size to protect the puck, but had limited success tonight. He plays a simple, go to the net type of game on offense. Used on the PK and PP.

I think his skating is holding him back a bit. Speed is adequate, but he has an slow, ugly stride and tripods a bit in when coasting toward the net. Not a "my stick is open" tripod, but an "I'm using my stick as support" tripod. Miami is built as a small, speedy team and he looked like he wasn't always able to keep up. His stickwork looked like it could use some improvement as well, a couple of times Miami players got under his stick and forced a turnover.

TBH, I wasn't really impressed. I'll keep an eye on him tomorrow as well, and post a update, good or bad.