View Single Post
Old
11-16-2013, 07:00 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer8 View Post
I know the topic well, trust me. Your logic is flawed.
Depends what one is saying. If one likes performance in these conditions its a no brainer. If starting and accelerating under these conditions is important to you then yeah, snow tires is your thing.

The reality is for most people snow tires just facilitates higher speed than advisable, and worse habits with poor road conditions. I see people doing this all the time. Because they have snow tires they treat driving in these conditions like a game out there because they figure they have magic tires that can handle anything nature throws at em. Such drivers are oft surprised when facing situations where suddenly those tires aren't performing due to temp, gradient, particular surface, etc. Fact of the matter is you don't want to be hitting glare ice at a considerable rate of speed whatever you're using. Slower to a degree is almost always safer.

If one is talking pure safety I'm safer using all seasons. I've tried winter tires. I don't like it because I feel it potentially leads to bad habits in adverse conditions.

If people drive the same ambient speeds with or without snow tires then snow tires makes it safer. But people generally don't. The people with all seasons arguably drive more carefully, slower, take a longer time to get somewhere, and don't treat these conditions as a race to get somewhere.

Lets look at last night. With snow tires there are areas of freeway where one could drive up to 100K. But also stretches where it would be absolutely treacherous to do so. This creates a range of error going across varying terrain that can be unpredictable. I'd be doing a lower speed to begin with and thus less deviation in speed through good and bad sections.

You can take this any way you like, but until the facts are properly substantiated with several cross replicated studies in different jurisdictions the jury is still out on which makes for safer driving.

With all that said I've had this discussion with several people involved in the tire industry some who agree, some who disagree.

But its not just as simple as stopping distances. Thats a gross simplification they use to sell these tires.