View Single Post
Old
11-17-2013, 01:07 PM
Lshap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan View Post
I've been a fan since 1965 and had the good fortune of seeing the Habs win a number of Cups over the years. I consider myself a patient fan and have suffered through many seasons of somewhat boring, uninspired, inept teams. However, being patient doesn't mean unrequited support for what appear to be poor management decisions. I'm lukewarm on the signings of Briere, Parros and Murray. If it's likely to be a losing/rebuilding season i'd rather groom the younger prospects at the NHL level. Tinordi and Beaulieu would likely be no worse than Boullion and Murray while they develop. The timing of the DD extension is inexplicable. The hiring of MT was out of left field for me. On the bright side management recognized that Bournival was close to ready and he is working out nicely. The unique cultural pressure faced by the Habs has led to some suboptimal decisions ( Louis Leblanc , Chelios for Savard etc.). The club is a Rosetta Stone away from consistent Red Wing-like competitivness.
I'm not much younger than you, having about 10 Stanley Cups tucked away in my permanent memory. All that past success allows me to be patient, and it also gives me a wide perspective on what's worked and what hasn't over the decades.

What I really like about the Bergevin era is the focus on prospect development. I've never seen so many kids being brought up to the big-leagues at the same time. Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Bournival, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Pateryn, Holland -- none of whom had ever played an NHL game before 2013. Amidst all the negative crap, let's not lose sight of the seismic bang these young guys will be making in a couple of years.

But you can't force-feed the NHL to prospects. I'd much rather see Holland or Andrighetto in place of Briere and Desharnais, just as I'd like to see Nygren, Beaulieu and Tinordi in place of Murray and Bouillon, but there is such a thing as too-much-too-soon. Tinordi has a 'huge' upside, but was struggling with the Habs and needed to ramp down in Hamilton. The others need to ramp up. Being patient with our prospects is the key to their longer-term success, no matter how badly we want them to replace the useless vets.

As to the cultural pressure, no argument. I like the 'Rosetta Stone' metaphor. Hopefully we'll get the best of both worlds with legitimate players like Bournival now and Fucale a few years down the road.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote