Thread: Crossfit
View Single Post
11-19-2013, 11:55 AM
vCash: 500
God I hope I don't regret getting into this...

Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post

It talked about how nutrition is huge. Super foods. More veggies. Some fruit. No added salt, no added sugar. Eat lots of protein, but eat a balanced meal of carbs and fats too.
That's not ground-breaking. Nutrition for any athlete is as important as the in-gym work, whatever it may be.

It talked about functional work outs in Gymnastics and Olympic lifting and sprinting and plyometrics.

Work out 3x, 1 rest day (which does not mean sit on the couch) and then 3x a again in a differ order.
Plenty of bodybuilding/powerbuilding routines can be like that as well. Nothing needs to be specifically on any day to see progress; it's all in the continuation of it. As they say, "the best routine is the one you stick to". As well, plyo work is definitely a part of powerlifting routines, and can be that of a bodybuilding routine as well if the user so desires. I do it right now and have for years.

It talks about metabolic conditioning. Something that the Soviet union did. I love their training.
Again, nothing new. It just so happens you found out about things others have known through Crossfit. That's fine, but do realize that people knew these things before.

No more bicep curls. Now I do more pull ups, and chin ups and reverse rows.
No more machines. I do real squats, real deadlifts and now I do Snatches and Clean and jerks. BIg complex but simple movements that need flexibility and power. In doing work. I am improving force and thus improving my strength and speed and acceleration. F=ma. W=Fd
I started to forget about overhead dumbell shoulder press and do dips.
This bugs me because it makes it seem like all bodybuilders are idiots who endlessly do useless work. Not so. Sure there are tons who don't know what they're doing, but you can say the same for any routine. MANY BB and powerbuilders focus on pullups and heavy pull work over direct bicep work. Like you, some add direct bicep work "just 'cuz" but definitely understand as you do that it's not necessary. That's just the old school way, and Crossfit sure as heck didn't unearth the knowledge that they weren't better than great back work. Any bodybuilder worth his salt has dips and pullups near the #1 lifts in his arsenal. I know they're in mine!

Regarding pullups vs. Kip pullups, obviously the Kip is better for "doing" them inasmuch as using your body motion to help lighten the load. That's the entire point. Though because of that it lessens the usefulness for your muscles by taking them out of the movement somewhat by their very nature. There's no arguing that. Traditional lifters' arguments is just that - it makes the move easier and doesn't beat your lats and therefore you won't see equal development. Sure you may be able to do more Kip pullups, but that's only good if you have to do more Kip pullups than somebody at some point. A guy like me at 5'10" and 205lbs., I can bang off 30 wide grip/slow pullups as a warmup. I'd say that's plenty strong and I don't have to throw my legs up for help. I think I'd be fine hanging off a cliff. I can also do numerous one arm pullups (though likely not if I were hanging off a cliff holding onto a rock and not a pullup bar, haha). That's seems pretty damn "real-world use" to me.

I'm sure we've all seen the Marines at events and fairs or whatever where they have the pullup bar and have people do X amount to win prizes. I've made them look foolish. I recall once going up once and beginning to do pullups the bodybuilding way: wide, palms out, slow, controlled. The guy called me a pretty boy or tough guy or something and asked if I thought I could do more than he could. I told him I wouldn't be surprised, so he jumped on the other bar. I did more than he did in my stupid bodybuilding manner than he could with palms inward, legs kicking, and with no fighting the negative portion of the lift so as to save his muscles from quicker tiring :p I think it's safe to say that the Marines aren't having their men do BB style training routines in preparation for combat, and a lot of good that did him that day :p

My only point is there's not reason to put down more traditional lifting styles when it comes to comparing it to Crossfit. Depending on what the traditional lifters are doing, you could find yourself eating crow in no time. The big trouble with traditional style lifting is that, overall, there aren't many very structured or specific routines. Everyone knows "bicep curls, 3 sets 10 reps" but that comes from...nothing. If one were to reference HIT or HST training styles, then they'd have an argument because those are very structured similar to Crossfit, etc. My personal favorite is DC Training, which is *** brutal and helps with overall conditioning as well as crazy strength gains that can rival straight-up powerlifting training.

You might confuse me with an anti-Crossfitter but that's not the case at all. I don't like everything it encompasses but that's just my opinion. I just don't think much of it what is preported is necessary, just as I would also say that many traditional training styles include things that are highly unnecessary. I suppose my problem is the people themselves, not able to learn from their bodies enough to know what is and isn't needed. This is why I chose to not further my sports sciences & nutrition career years ago; I, like you, am incredibly passionate about all things fitness. While I love training people and helping (I also have helped run a fitness forum site with members ranging from IFBB pro card holders to personal trainers to famous trainers such as Alan Aragon, etc.). I just coudn't let my livelihood rely on others' shortcomings, so I opted out. I still find enjoyment out of training friends and helping them though, and that's good enough for me.

It just seems the best ideas you mentioned as "because of Crossfit", are things that you could've just as well learned elsewhere. It is good to see that they incorporate such things though.