View Single Post
Old
11-19-2013, 02:23 PM
Djp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post
I know Pegula was encouraging his organization to take risks, but they never should have taken Grigorenko at 12. They talked to Roy, who was struggling with Grigorenko's work ethic at the time.

Devine will help orient LaFontaine. I think the new GM will be more involved with the draft than Darcy was.

They should have taken BPA (Teravainen or Hertl?). I know, hindsight is wonderful.... and I'm sure I'll change my mind in ten years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommunism View Post
This reads a lot like revisionist history to me. Grigorenko was pretty much the highest rated guy when Buffalo picked, it's not like he was a reach by any means. Hertl and Teravainen fell to 17 and 18. It's not like they were immediately scooped up after Grigorenko got picked. Hertl's inclusion especially seems to be influenced by his success so far this season, and not at all related to how he was rated when the draft actually happened.
I absolutely disagree...Grigorenko was the BPA when they drafted. Remember he was ranked in the top 2 in January 2012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Anyone else getting the feeling that we may go with the Florida route this off season and sign a bunch of journeymen fillers for 2 or 3 years so that we can slide in 1 at most 2 rookies a year for the next few years as opposed to 3 or 4 which is what would have to happen given the amount of roster spots in the coming years?
I would prefer not to. Id rather go with younger players than journeyman forwards. If they trade many of the UFAs, buy out Leino, then they likely will sign a few UFAs just to get above the floor the next 2 yrs.

In this day and age with 27 being the UFA year...Id rather go with the youth over going with journeyman. With the lowering of the age you cant have players sit in the AHL for 4 years before making the step up. that will yield to poor cap management.

You dont have the cap to create an all veteran team anymore. You need the youth on ELCs to balance out the higher cap hits.