View Single Post
Old
11-21-2013, 12:09 PM
The Devil In I
#NoPainNoLaine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickchecked View Post
Really? Is that the basis of Crossfit, doing as much as you can in 20 minutes?
lol no. That was an example. But it is safe to say that the basis of Crossfit is doing everything against the clock. If it's not doing "as many rounds as possible in __ mins", it's "X amount of rounds for time" (see how fast you can do X rounds), or "Do this workout, post your time <list of 4-5 exercises/tasks>"

They take a bunch of already established workout philosophies (circuit training, interval training, power lifting, etc), throw them all together, teach them in a group environment, and have people post their times to a "leader board". And promote an environment that encourages people to compete against the clock to get better.

That type of group fitness in itself is a good idea. The friendly, group-themed environment, and the competitive drive to improve yourself against prior times (or get on the leader board). I'm very into fitness, and an environment like that, that gets people consistently going to the gym and getting themselves in better shape...is awesome. But throwing compound lifts into that philosophy is very dangerous. And why I hate Crossfit.