View Single Post
Old
11-21-2013, 01:24 PM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
I think you consider Tyler Myers as possibly a last option and try to make trades with the senators, wild or ducks first. He is such a great risk and expensive, we need to proceed with great caution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
It is a big risk, but, if you're able to rehabilitate Myers, and, at some point, add McIlrath to the mix, you get younger and less expensive on the right side of your defense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Certainly true. But right now Myers is a borderline 2nd pairing defender. If he doesn't find that high level again, his contract could cripple us pretty badly. I think he might just be one of those players who has fallen into a rut with what was a rudderless organization, but you never know.
I am half fooling around here. But, I posted about the retirement contracts long before they were used. Take my word for it, in the future teams will take these horrible signings and rejeavuinate them by eating a bit of salary and contenders will pay alot of assets to get a player with a big chunk of the contract eaten by another team. You basically buy a free-card for one roster spot. With the cap going up, and if you can find a good top 2 line forward or top 4 D (ie not a superstar, but just a solid player), that is tied up for like 5-6 years, for like 3m per, that would really help your planning and open up space to load a roster under a cap that during half that time period grows to 80m and probably could close in on 90m at the end of those 5-6 years.

Myers isn't Wade Redden II. I wouldn't say that he is Dion Phaneuf II, but its a darn lot closer to compare him to Phaneuf than Redden.

The kid was extremely hyped and the contract he signed was nuts, but the bubble was burst after he signed that contract that put a tremendous amount of expectations on him while Buffalo as a team fell apart and he had zero backing. Not because he is a horrible player. Had he been eased in instead of thrown into the fire, he could be on a cheap bridgecontract now and people would only talk about his upside. Myers isn't a full year older than Kreider, and big Ds take a long time to develop.

I definitely have an extremely hard time seing any risk in Myers if he gets a change of scenary and gets to play in a stable environment and for a good team, and away from the expectations on that contract. And along with the expectations of being a good top 4 D, not a franchise D like he was signed to become in Buffalo.