Thread: Crossfit
View Single Post
11-21-2013, 01:01 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
I dont do crossfit personally but I have done some of the exercises.

You mention good and bad coaching but this is no different than any other activity including hockey. Many a guy has been injured because of poor coaching in practices.

Also our bodies are not really like houses. Our bodies are capable of adapting. For thousands of years and really up until recently people did not have the luxury of "building a base". They bailed that hay or hunted that lion or they didnt make it. People lived.

Id say more of our injury problems are due to sedentary lifestyles and mixed in with occassional boughts of exercising.

This is were I see a lot of the crossfit issues coming from. People overextending themselves.

The interesting thing is reading about how the soviets ran their sports programs it wasnt all that different than what we now call crossfit. In fact a lot of the exercises are adopted from them.
Again, this is personal opinion of mine and I agree athletes can get hurt anywhere, even walking down the stairs at their own home.

The good or bad coaching I refer to is letting an athlete load themselves up with 100+ pounds and performing a clean when they can't functionally do a body weight squat - I have seen it happening. That does not go to say their isn't some bad coaching in hockey or any other sport but the topic we are talking about here is CrossFit. I have seen perfectly run Cross Fit facilities but I have also seen my fair share that are not.