View Single Post
11-21-2013, 05:14 PM
Lafleurs Guy
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Even if Markov slows down a bit, what is the next best option on this unit?
Again, this is a false argument. Markov isn't going to be the Markov we know in a couple of years anyway. We're GOING to lose this guy (at least the player who plays the way he does now anyway) to either trade or age. But he's not going to ever be any better than he is now.

There is nobody on this roster that is good enough or ready to take that kind of role away from him for at least 2 years, and that is being optimistic.
So if you can (and that's a huge IF) trade him for a younger blueliner who maybe isn't as good but can play a number 2 role on our team and extend the window of winning. We're not contenders now anyway...
This team NEEDS Markov.
To do what? Do you think we can contend this year? Next? What do we need Markov for if we can't do this?

Its not uncommon for guys his age to suddenly drop off either. Look at Iginla for example. At age 33 he's a 40+ over point per game player. At 34 he averages what would've been a 27 goal 60 point season and this year he's on pace for 12 goals and 48 points...

Yes, you can say he's on new teams but is there any doubt that he'd be a point per game if he was 31 or 32 years old? I don't think so.

If we're going to sign this guy... okay so be it. We ride him out and hope to win something soon I guess. But do it for no more than two years. Anything more is a mistake in my opinion. I hate the idea of having him until he's 38.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote