View Single Post
Old
11-25-2013, 08:01 AM
madguitarist

vCash: 500
The ref's role in controlling a game is huge. Nobody likes a guy who calls everything, but at the same time, putting the whistle away all game, can lead to chaos if guys are getting away with stick work and dirty plays. There has to be a balance between the two, and it's not easy to find. A bad ref, can kill a game and cost a team goals. Had a hand pass one-timed past me yesterday that was missed, and a couple of missed offsides that turned into goals. Refs are only human, but sometimes, it can be tough to swallow. When a ref calls a great game, let 'em know about it. If they get credit for it, then maybe they'll call games consistently, based on the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
One of officials' shortcomings that drive me crazy is the lack of enforcement of so-called playing till the whistle type plays.

From USAHockey:

A minor penalty shall be imposed on any player who makes stick contact with an opposing goalkeeper while he is in his goal crease, who has covered or caught the puck, regardless of whether or not the Referee has stopped play.

If the puck is loose, go for it and you don't need to hack the goalie in doing so. If it's not free, what are you doing? Incurring a penalty.

Enforcement of this rule from Mites on would go a long way to improving hockey and eliminating all the protecting their goaltender nonsense that is way too prevalent.
I really like this rule, and wish that it were enforced everywhere. As a keeper, it's a piss off when some overzealous bender, hacks away at your hands and arms, or bowls you over when you're in a vulnerable position because he's trying to jar the puck loose. I have a job to go to, and I don't need some wannabe who still thinks that there are scouts in the stands, putting my job and health in jeopardy, because he's to daft to understand that rec. league isn't the gateway to a pro career.

Last edited by madguitarist: 11-25-2013 at 08:07 AM.
madguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote