Thread: Crossfit
View Single Post
Old
11-25-2013, 09:55 AM
Thesensation19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKSPT View Post
Good stuff Coach. I'll just add that the reason why I wouldn't advocate CrossFit to hockey players is because the goals and approaches of CrossFit conflict with many goals a hockey player has in their training.

Firstly, training should be structured according to the needs of the athlete, the time of the year (off-season, in-season etc...) and the phase of training (strength, power, conditioning).

Secondly, each phase of training has specific purpose and so regularly shuffling exercises around conflicts with those goals. Players should be trying to push and progress the same lifts and exercises in each phase.

Finally, the goal in sports specific training is to perform the right quantity of each exercise with specific rest intervals. This is true in strength, plyometric and conditioning workouts. Going for high reps or trying to cram reps into a set time is counter-productive for hockey players. You'll get fit but not in a way that's optimal for hockey.

Good on Scott Thornton though life after hockey for many players means more pizza and beer.
Phases have more to do with programming to your needs and desires. Crossfit is a tool for general fitness that incorporates different forms of training exercises. Going into a CF class will entitle you a 1 hour session of a warm up, stretch, 20-30 minute WOD, cool down and stretch. Its general. One of the best general classes you can take that will help you efficiently train your body.

Phases have to do with your choice of volume and reps. There are hundreds of different Crossfit routines. Different based on the individual, trainers, gyms you attend.

If you are looking for more power exercises. Theres no reason why you cant do less reps and more weights. Elite Crossfitters have phases too. As the CF games gets closer, some CFitters do more reps for conditioning or more volume for strength. They do one or two WODs a day, and then spend the rest of the day training a specific movement.

So for a hockey player it should look very similar. Spend that 1 hour doing a warm up, WOD, cool down. Afterwards if capable, or later on in the day spend an hour doing specific movements. Mix that in with hockey skill training (skating, stick handling, shooting) and you got yourself a great training day.

You say training phases is doing the "right" amount. Well too me, right amount is the amount my body is not use to and trying to break it down. Its what works for me.

Like last Monday I did 30 minutes of deadlifts.
-High Volume (nearly 300lbs) and did 7 sets of 5 reps each. I had to drop it down a bit as the sets went by
- Then I did Low volume (150lbs) 30 times in a row. I had to stop at the 15 mark cuz of fatigue for a few seconds. Then I stopped at the 28 marker because I saw myself losing form.

For many, this is probably enough in a day.

Me, I instead then did a Met Con to attack more of my whole body and train my body for HIIT.
I did 5 rounds of 1/4 mile run on treadmill, no rest then I did 11 pull ups. I did straight as much as I could but had to kip. Kip is fine. Its a different form of a pull up. It attacks your core much better than the straight. So mixing it is cool with me. And then 21 kettle bell swings

I did that 5x. Sure, for time. So that Im not sitting their in between sets. But my time was like 35-40 minutes. That was probably a sad time but afterwards I felt great. Nothing was dangerous to my body. I listened to my body. sure I had to bend over after the 3rd round of pull ups and sure i couldnt do 11 pull ups straight. But I did it as best as I could.

I loved it. Left the gym happy and great. My body grew from such a work out because I blew past my limits

Everyones programming is different. Look at Jagrs. Compared to the typical hockey program. His work outs in-season should be outlawed. Coaches tell him to slow down for years. Say its not good for him. Say he needs a rest day. Say he shouldnt be doing so many squats a day (use to, or still does 1000 squats a day since he was 15) at his age.

Yet, how can you tell him hes wrong.

You look at a hundred athletes. The top ones especially. They dont follow your typical training protocol. They do what works for them. some involves seasonal phasing, some includes weekly phasing. Sometimes idk if they even do a phase at all and just do all body exercises all day every day.