Thread: Kane or Gagner
View Single Post
Old
12-30-2006, 05:08 PM
turnbuckle*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSqueelin View Post
For a scout, kinda surprised you throw out the age argument. Do you really think Kane would have played like he has at this time last year? Nope. He does have an advantage since he is the oldest draft eligable prospect. That's just the way it is. We can debate who is better at this tourney after Gagner plays next year.
Where did I say I was throwing out the age factor? My point was that I don't think Gagner in nine months time will be a better player than Kane is today. That's not throwing out the age factor, that's utilizing it.

There's not a better all-around skater in this year's draft with the possible exceptions of Katic. As was mentioned by Dale Hunter, his lateral movement is as good as you'll ever see at the junior level. Nine months from now Gagner won't be a better skater than Kane is right now, nor will he be in 5 years.

At the end of the day, a player with Kane's skating and puck skills will be picked in the top five without question IMO in this draft. Gagner I'm not as sure about; there are at least six players I like better at this time. Still makes him a helluva prospect.

You can't penalize Kane for being a late '88 - NHL scouts were shrewd enough not to penalize Eric Staal in 2003, Kessel in 2006, etc....I can't see them suddenly changing their mind on Kane. Fact is he's played with predominantly 89's all his life, yet when he's pitted against guys up to 23 months older he's always dominated.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote