View Single Post
Old
11-27-2013, 08:55 AM
lancer247

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
I think you should apologize to the bandwidth you just abused.

1) If Read, Couturier, and Downie are a legitimate two-way threat by the season's end, the Flyers will finally have the two lines capable of carrying their weight, which we lost two years ago when Holmgren hastily traded away Carter and Richards without first having competent replacements in line. In other words, we'll be exactly where we were two seasons ago. You do not repeat the mistake in trading away a known commodity with the blind-hope his replacement can match the production*... unless you want to end up like the Sabres.

2) LeCavalier, Simmonds, and Schenn have done little to justify handing them such prominent roles as you're suggesting; The same can be said of Laughton. That's not to say LeCavalier and Simmonds both don't or aren't at least capable of contributing to the power-play, which is where I feel they're most valuable, but moving either could prove to be harder than you'd expect given the clauses attached. I doubt we get fair value. (Nevermind the fact we have no suitable replacement for either player, at the moment.) And, while Schenn and Laughton are both young promising players, until they prove they can handle a heavy work-load without compromising the team, it's up to Berube to put them in a position to succeed, while limiting their roles with the Flyers.

So, until you are no longer ABLE to accommodate the bodies (i.e. Umberger, Lupul, etc.), it's my opinion Holmgren should allow the core to continue to mature slowly, uninterrupted, temporarily providing the team with a cost-effective replacement for the retreads we've become all too accustomed to seeing on the lower lines.

*Hartnell is a notoriously streaky scorer. Those unaware, or those who choose to ignore the fact, should head towards the exit immediately. At the end of the day, you take the good with the bad, knowing the man will give you the rare combination of skill and sandpaper teams around the league are chomping at the bit to get hold of. Don't give them the opportunity.
Agree with everything you said except the bolded. Aren't those three our top goal scorers?

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote