View Single Post
Old
01-01-2007, 04:36 PM
acr*

vCash: 500
Learning Goalie...

I've decided as a sort of New Year's Resolution that combines the standard "Get in better shape" and "Get a hobby" that I want to start playing real ice hockey. I've always loved playing goal in floor hockey, gym soccer, team handball...whatever team and goal oriented games we played in gym class when I was in high school, I always loved playing goal and getting the satisfaction of stopping the other players.

The problem is...I've never played any ice hockey at all. I didn't learn to skate until I was 13 or 14, and only have that basic "learn to skate" training in it. If I get consistent ice-time, like go once or twice a week, I think I'd be fine.

Is it feasible for a 20 year old with no ice hockey experience at all to survive playing goal at any rec league level? Another concern is the fact that the equipment is freaking expensive...though I think most house leagues have rental pads or something like that...I want to play but am not going to shell out $2000 for leg pads and a chest protector when I have no experience. My job right now is doing scorekeeping with the rinks up here, so I know the hockey director of the facility well and will ask him about all this stuff whenever I see him, I'm just wondering if this is a good idea to try or not.

Any other advice with this?

acr* is offline   Reply With Quote