View Single Post
Old
11-29-2013, 12:19 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by oiLowe View Post
I couldn't disagree more, the Flames are in a VERY tough position because everyone in Calgary knows Hartley & Feaster are lame ducks and will both be canned within the next two years.

While this might not be the correct direction for their team to take you have to know Burke wants his own people in there and it's only a matter of time before that happens.

I know you have been fairly positive about the Flames direction in the past but I don't think you can disagree they are in a for a bunch of very lean years and will likely still be a lottery in three seasons when "hopefully" the Oilers are icing a competitive squad.
Burke is light years smarter than Lowe. For one thing he understands the importance of experience and continuity especially when it comes to the coaching staff. Hartley is a solid coach...no reason to replace him unless the team quits on him.

Its not that I am fairly positive about the Flames rebuild...its more about how incompetent the Oilers have been during their rebuild. If you look at things objectively (which is very hard for most Oiler fans to do) the Flames have already done more right than the Oilers.

I see many more things in place for the Flames than I did for the Oilers over the last 4 years. The Flames have a solid veteran presence in Wideman, Giordano,Glencross, Hudler et al which is critical when you are adding young players to the mix. They have coaching continuity with an experienced coach and a strong system. The Flames need to find a goalie (with the FA crop this off season and plenty of cap space that shouldnt be an issue).

So the Flames have pieces in place that the Oilers are still trying to fix...a good defence, good veteran support, a gritty lineup, coaching continuity, a smart hockey man in Burke and cap space.

The Oilers screwed up royally by hanging on to useless veteran players and waited until the 4th year to do anything to help that cause.
The Oilers STILL have a bad defence despite the fact they have maxed out the cap year after year. They still are too easy to play against 4 years into the rebuild.
Its mind boggling how a team can still be so bad and have little to no cap room.
They have absolutely no coaching continuity and changed they system almost every year. They decided that the solution to the system and the coaching was to hire a rookie coach.

To top things off they have an incompetent buffoon like Lowe still on staff because he is buddies with the owner. The same can probably be said for Bucky.
Ridiculous.

The fact of the matter is that the Oilers have f-ed up this rebuild beyond belief. There is really no way to do it worse.

Last edited by guymez: 11-29-2013 at 12:26 PM.
guymez is offline   Reply With Quote