View Single Post
Old
01-23-2004, 01:41 PM
Evilo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
NEWSFLASH: It's needed. Send him down.

Come on Olive, surely you guys see there's some serious negatives and drawbacks to his current situation. He's learning to lose. If it goes on for too long he might just start to get complacent about losing, to accept losing. There's only one team in the league that lets in more than a goal more than they score and the Pens let in 1.67 more than they score.

I've heard a lot of GM's and coaches talk about the importance of putting young players in a position to succeed. Fleury is in a position to fail. There's no possible way he can be expected to win more games than he loses and that will have a negative effect on his mental game and his confidence.

I think it would be a great experience for him to backstop a good junior team like Cape Breton and try and make a memorial cup run. Playing with the Penguins at this point (no Lemieux, no Straka, no players of note at all) is going to have more negatives than positives.
UNTIL HE DOESN'T PLAY GOOD ENOUGH.
Right now he isn't. So if he continues this way, I'm all for sending him down.
But how do you send down a guy that plays this well?
I disgaree with your assesment that everything is in the win column for the developpment of a young kid.
There's more to it IMO, and a lot has to do with the trust the management has in you and the way you actually PLAY. Until he plays subpar, he shouldn't be sent down.
But again at this rate, he won't last another week.