View Single Post
Old
11-30-2013, 09:18 AM
The Winter Soldier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
I don't disagree here that you want offensive progression. I think his ceiling will take a lot longer to achieve, if he ever does.

He's very raw. Perhaps a lot more raw then most thought, even the Leafs. You always want that progression in the stats line and it hasn't been there for Gauthier.

I understand that it's pretty much the only thing you can probably do as a fan is watch the stats line, but for someone like Gauthier it really doesn't do him justice. I can only suggest watching him play, one way or another, in order to really see how good he is.

He's got all the tools right now to be a very good NHLer in a couple years. We'll see how versatile his tool box can be.

Since he's a first round prospect though, the expectations of him being more than just a McClement clone is warranted. I do hope his offensive game goes to another level in the 2nd half of the season.
Obviously most of us, read the box scores. I have seen Verhaeghe play, easier to watch OHL games. But most of us have seen them from training camp, and the game here and there in the meantime. I personally don't see the offensive upside in Gauthier, we can agree or disagree in this. It's almost like Joe Colborne. I see some vision, but no finish. He's more of a playmaker than scorer. It was obvious early on in prospects camp Verhaeghe had more top 6 potential.

It is early, but the vast majority of times players in their post draft year's explode offensively. I think we will be having this discussion all year. If Gauthier does not score, he better be the best defensive fwd in the QMJHL this year.