Thread: Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Bruins
View Single Post
Old
11-30-2013, 03:56 PM
mullichicken25

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
When it comes to 90+ MPH slap shot? Pretty much.

Jump in goal and have a look at a major league slap shot then talk to me some more.

The slapshot is the fastest, least accurate shot in the sport. That's why many slapshots (MDZ) miss the net - because the shooter doesn't even know where it's going to end up. Goaltending, especially against shots like that, are all about positioning. It's not really about reaction time when you've got .25 seconds to react.

It wasn't routine, trust me.

I highly recommend you read this: http://www.exploratorium.edu/hockey/save1.html

It's a nice three page article talking about what I've been talking about.
Listen dude, NHL slap shots are inaccurate in the sense that they don't have the same precision as a wrist shot or that shooters can easily miss the net when trying to pick corners. But it's not like these guys aim bottom left and it ends up top right, barring a deflection or broken stick. The difficult part of defending slap shots from the goalies perspective is rebound control, NOT the initial save. Thats exactly why defensemen are taught to shoot low and hard from a young age. You're taught that your initial shot will NOT go in, but the resulting rebound is will be a good scoring opportunity.

This idea that no one knows where a slap shot is going once it leaves the stick is silly.

Far sillier than the idea that the goalie made a mistake on what should have been a routine stop.

If there was any logic in what your saying there wouldn't be so much effort and focus centered around getting guys in front of the net to obstruct goalies site lines, and guys like chara would be scoring 30, 40, and 50 goals a year. In reality, the unobstructed slap shot from the point is supposed to be the easiest save a goalie can make.

Just face it, Hank should have stopped that one.

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote