View Single Post
Old
12-01-2013, 12:36 AM
Broad Street Elite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
The biggest worry I would have is him going pro and getting it in his head he 'needed' to gain the weight... been there, done that, ended badly. Better to not force it on.

Was ~154-160 pounds at 18 (5'11) and stepped up into under 23 competition, did fine in my first year, scored a lot of goals (water polo)... but got pushed around... so went from 160 to 188 pounds in 6 months (as I hit 19) of working my arse off to compete physically, only gaining like 2% body fat while doing that... lost all my speed and stamina, ended up with x3 less goals and unable to play enough minutes... though I bossed strength wise then it did not matter. Lost 10 pounds the next summer and played great again, though never have really got my stamina back.

Ofc that is an extreme example... no-one who is sensible/has decent advice would do anything like that. But look at guys like Schenn... it can happen.
This (and Luke Schenn) illustrate the dangers of excess. Gaining that much weight that fast is insane. Couturier, however, is showing that appropriate weight gain can really make a world of difference.

I don't think Gostisbehere needs to add a whole lot of weight before he makes it to the pros, but at his size, 5-10 lean pounds over a year could make all the difference in staying healthy over the rigors of a season since there is an expectation of weight loss.

Enstrom is listed at 5'10", 180lbs. Kimmo is something like 5'11", 194. Rafalski was about 5'10", 195. Ghost is 5'11", ~170.